Sunday, August 21, 2016

August Ipsy Bag Review


Alright, so remember how I promised I would be patient and not sneak any peeks at my bag this month? Yeah well... that didn't happen. Once again, I was a little disappointed, until I got my items that is. And then I was still somehow a little disappointed afterward.

For those of you who aren't even reading this don't know, Ipsy is a $10 a month subscription service that sends 5 full, deluxe and sample sized products a month in a makeup bag that is usually pretty cute. Ipsy is one of the cheapest makeup subscription services out there (right next to Birchbox, which I haven't tried yet). If you a are interested in Birchbox reviews or want to see a comparison of Ipsy vs. Birchbox check out My Subscription Addiction.

I received my bag on August 16th and this month Ipsy only offered one beauty tool, which seemed uncommon. I've been a subscriber since April and it seems like they have at least two brushes per bag (or the dreaded nail file) but this month the only offering was a sponge.

I won the lottery and scored the Beau Gâchis Paris Pro Series Applicator Sponge. A two pack of this and another sponge runs for $28 on the store's site (at the time of this writing they are on sale for $23 for the duo pack). Ive been wanting to try a beauty sponge for a while now but I hadn't quite worked up the nerve to buy one so I'm extremely glad this rolled through that door...


I received the Jersey Shore Cosmetics Mongongo Lip Conditioner in Coconut Cream. This was the one product I got that I really was wanting this month since I just ran out of the best lip balm ever. At first use the formula isn't bad but I do take umbrage with the brand's website which boasts sun protection yet has a disclaimer of having zero SPF. The formula is buttery enough but not special enough to justify the $10 price tag.

Another month, another black eyeliner (swatched below). I can see how people burn out on black eyeliner but I can always use more, especially since they don't expire like jar products will. I am also a terrible person and I will use a product until it smells off or fails to function as it is was originally supposed to, but I digress. This month's eyeliner was the Beauty For Real I-Line 24/7 Eyeliner in Black Magic. I had to estimate the value at $3.46 by taking the average weight of automatic eyeliner (1.13398 g or 0.04 oz). The Ipsy stylists suggest smudging the eyeliner upon application for a smokey look. I think it's funny that smudginess is a selling point, but hey. Turns out, it does smudge a lot upon initial application but once it sets it doesn't move. It is by no means waterproof though, but it does stay very well on the lid.

I received the Tarte Cosmetics Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara in Black (valued at $9.86) and I'm Grateful. It has a rubber brush that separates the lashes for an extremely defined look. It adds volume but not so much to length. It also doesn't clump, which is sexy as hell. Just saying, if I wasn't married...

Lastly I got the IT Hair Care 12-In-One Amazing Leave-In Treatment (a $5 value) and it is a very generous deluxe size sample. It smells like a hair salon (I love that smell, minus the burning hair that usually accompanies it, absent from this bottle) and feels very soft in my hair. I have to try this out on Peanut though. It promises to treat 12 hair conditions (I'm calling shenanigans) and is a TSA and diaper bag friendly size.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of color in this month's bag's products but everything in the bag is really useful and this is the cutest bag design I've seen since I subscribed this past April. The total bag value this month was $42.32, a pretty average Ipsy haul. We're the products worth the price tag? The mascara and the sponge are, the conditioner might be, if I didn't have dense 4C hair. I'm just glad I can get use out of everything in this bag. Here's to waiting for September. Cheers!

Beauty For Real eyeliner swatch
Update: Ipsy has announced that the eyeliner is non retractable, perhaps in response to many comments asking if 1) it was a twist up at all since it took a while to get the product to twist out and 2) people having my issue where once exposed, people could not retract the product.


No comments:

Post a Comment