Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Target Beauty Box August 2017

Every month Target releases a beauty box , usually ranging from $5-$10 with sample sized and full sized beauty and personal items that can be purchased in store or through their online website. Shipments also arrive within the first week or two of the month. Here it is mid month so I've had a little time to play with my Target Beauty Box and drop off an opinion.

The August box cost $7 and is still available online. Target values the box at $21 (we will see why this is bullshit later). This month's box included:


The box this month felt pretty hefty but honestly, it was being pretty tricksey, if you ask me. 6 items? The review is already starting off pretty dubiously.

Again with the Earth murder

The Dove Invisible Dry Spray Anti-Persprint was a nice touch. It's a full sized item and useful and if we've learned anything from the past, I love the boring, useful items in Target boxes. A razor, top coat and sunscreen have been my favorite acquisitions so far. Unfortunately this item was a bit of a miss for me. It might be early 90's elementary school brainwashing but I always feel uncomfortable and a little guilty when using aerosol cans. That and I tried this out before I ended up beasting at work and I'm... I don't have friends anymore because this deodorant failed me. I might give it another try when winter rolls through.


Garnier Clearly Brighter Daily Scrub
I couldn't find this exact item online so I have a link to a similar item on Amazon. This scrub has a similar grit texture to St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I do like how it can be used daily, unlike most scrubs. It will take me a while to get around to finishing this sample up though because I currently have a ton of face washes open.


The SpaLife Nourishing Facial Mask is a good move for people who like sheet masks but I don't. Not only do I generally dislike sheet masks but this one has eye flaps that are annoying to deal with. I mean you could cover your lids with this but do you want to risk the essence dripping onto your eyes? The material was thicker than other sheet masks I've tried and the essence was very runny so I hadn't to lay down with a towel to contain the spa day. Then there's the issue of the scent. Try to imagine orange rind that smells bitter, entirely inedible, mixed with a little bit of furniture polish. It entirely not enjoyable. I guess what I'm saying is I hated this more than most.

Cue the fake orgasm.

Herbal Essences Argan Oil Shampoo is a shampoo (duh). Nothing special here. It smells alright. I know the company went defunct and reappeared like a case of herpes a few years ago but I can't purge the memory of the commercials from the 90's. Thanks, guys!
It comes in "pretty"?

I just this moment realized I came home with my safety glasses.

The Enchanted forest.

Holy crap, I haven't used BiorĂ© Deep Cleansing Nose Strips in years. I forgot how much I loved these things and how effective they are. I love the satisfaction of seeing a tiny forest removed from the top of my nose. This one even had a cute little design printed on it instead of being the white, charcoal or hospital green colors im used to. With so many other companies using the same technology, I'm gad to see the original still around. Too bad the beauty box only included one strip.

I can hear the Earth screaming in fury as I create an excessive amount of trash.

I'm trying to reconcile my laziness and love of ease with my desire to reduce the amount of garbage I make. Up & Up Makeup Remover Wipes are causing laziness to win out. I love makeup removing wipes but holy hell do they produce so much waste. I will keep these for backup instead of using them on the daily and probably resolve myself to double or triple cleansing. These wipes have not so great reviews on the Target website but I haven't had any issues other than some mild burning when trying to remove eye makeup.

This month was a pretty disappointing box. It was heavy as hell and had two full sized items, so that's a win but only one of the brands was a new discovery for me. At $14.38 the actual value of the box was far below the store's projected $21 (they must have been counting the full sized value of everything?). I guess with the lower value I'm still coming out ahead of the $7 cost and I always calculate the value before I order because it's fun but still. There were also zero Cruelty Free options this month which isn't surprising considering its drugstore, just disappointing considering how many Cruelty Free brands you can find in stores like Target and Walmart now. Overall it just wasn't a very strong month for Target. I would absolutely love if Target had a beauty box option that consisted of only Up & Up brand items since there are quite a few things that I have not tried yet. I wonder how much value they could cram into a box like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment