Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Play! By Sephora Review October 2017

Play! by Sephora is a monthly subscription box that features brands available buth in store and online at sephora.com. The subscription costs $10 a month plus tax and free shipping and includes 5 samples from makeup, beauty, skincare and haircare categories and also a fragrance sample. October's theme focused on complexion. This month's items included:




I apologize for the shit pictures in this post. I was proof reading everything and when I went to insert photos I realized I never took the original photos when I was unboxing. A week ago.


I cannot wait for the luminous trend to be over. I love getting primers in subscription boxes but I find that I still favor mattifying primers over luminizing primers. Dr. Brandt Pores no More Luminizer Primer felt less offensive and less drying than the brand's pore refining primer. It applied with a moisturizing lotion texture but I did not notice much luminizing. It only had a few sparse shimmering particles in it making this something I am more likely to wear than other luminizing primers.


One of these days I might actually receive a foundation shade in a subscription box that actually matches my skin tone. I was thrilled to try Make Up For Ever's Invisible Cover Foundation but I was then suddenly quite bummed to see that I got the shade Y445. According to my Sephora IQ (which I also frequently question its accuracy based on the cast member who scanned me when I went in), my MUFE shade should be Y425, which is slightly darker than the shade I received. I would describe this foundation as a medium coverage. I haven't had a chance to try a full face of it yet but so far patch testing on my face has not yielded any unsavory results. I haven't had any issues with dry patches and I thankfully do not have any fine lines that might be accentuated by this foundation. I should also note that I did not have any issues with the foundation oxidizing darker on my skin.



The Sephora Collection Instant Moisturizer + Cream is a nice cream. That sounds extremely wishy washy but it is what it is. It smells slightly perfumed, like fabric softener sheets but I'm odd and I find that scent to be strangely comforting. It is definitely a medium moisturizer, heavier than what I would typically gravitate toward so I can see myself getting the most use out of this in deep winter or during a polar vortex or something equally meterologically tragic. If you have combination or oily skin I would definitely recommend this as a nighttime moisturizer or maybe an emergency moisturizer for any particularly dry spots. This tube may last me damn near forever.
 

I don't know what to do with this Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops. I feel like I'm too old to use shimmering/luminous highlighters, it's not like I'm clubbing at night or anything. The formula is on the thicker side but I absolutely love the dropper formula the container has to aid in the application process. A little bit goes a very long way which is very intimidating. The Sephora Play site offers suggestions for how to use the luminizing drops like adding a drop or two to foundation. I think I might pass on that since I can look oily enough halfway through the day without any outside help. I will probably use my collection of liquid highlighters by mixing them with body lotion or mists to give my limbs a healthy glow.



I have mentioned in the past how much I dislike cream cleansers but hey-oh! I ended up with a cream cleanser in this month's Play box. The Skin Laundry Hydrating Cream Face Wash was not the most offensive cream wash  I've ever used. The actual process of washing my face was quite gentle, almost therapeutic. I feel like the term "hydrating" may be a bit of a misnomer though. My cheeks and chin felt considerably drier than they typically would after using one of my standard cleansers.


Gucci Bloom. Nope. No thanks. This fragrance has an incredibly heavy floral scent with key notes of rangoon creeper, jasmine bud and tuberose. It smells like a the bottom of a purse belonging to a vintage whore lounging on an early Art Déco era chaise surrounded by blooms. And Spanish Flu. Incidentally my mother-in-law loved this scent.

All in all it wasn't a bad box. I got a face wash that I will use, same with the face moisturizer. The fragrance sample wasn't offensive, just not my style. I love getting primers and that will get used at some point in the future. I will have to try to put the luminizing drops to use perhaps in a body lotion and while the foundation is just a shade too dark I believe I can make it work out in public. I hope. The total value of the box is $39.16 isn't bad at all for a $10/month box and I can find a way to put everything I got to use. If not, I can always gift things to friends cross country.

No comments:

Post a Comment