Wednesday, March 14, 2018

December 2017 Sephora Play Review

I loved the December theme so much. I’d already been in a very Art Deco leaning Streamline Moderne mood so the undeniable Gatsby vibe of this box made me giggle. Even the curation of the box seemed to add to the pre-war vibe. *squee!*

Also, sorry about the lack of price points. I'm seriously backlogged and while I haven't lost interest in blogging, I've been a bit bummed about the shit photo quality that I haven't had funds to fix, on top of being tied up with a mother-in-law, kids, and 6 days of work a week at 8-10 hours. End Rant. BoopBeepBoop. 






December's box included:



I received the Smashbox Cover Shot Eye Duo in Golden Hour and I think I would be perfectly if this was the only eyeshadow I owned. Well, this and Mother Nature #6 by Naked Cosmetics. The shadow pan are tiny but they re so pigmented without being patchy or powdery. They provide a perfect rose gold shade for my skin tone and have a beautiful yet subtle shimmer to them. In all way this mini makes for a perfect natural daytime look. I know it’s a contradiction of terms but this duo is great for an understated glam look. Mix with a vampy red look and it can make for a completely classy formal look. Much the pity I have nowhere to dress up for. 15-year-ago-prom me would be jealous though. But then that me also had no taste and looked like she got shot in the face with a makeup gun.

I just ran out of my Dior Miss Dior spritzer today and I’m actually fairly bummed about it it has a lovely floral scent with top notes of bergamot, grasses rose and rosewood. This scent worked amazingly well with my body chemistry. I would love to own this for not $75. 

I know I am on black eyeliner overload, especially the notoriously unworn liquid black eyeliner but I was grateful to receive the Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen. It is a decent size and unlike most felt liners it has a brush tip, similar to the Kat Von D Trooper Eyeliner. The Pretty Easy pen creates a true black, very fine tip with a semi-glossy finish. I still find myself preferring the KVD liner because I find it to be more precise but this is a welcome addition to my collection since I finally gave up on my dried out KVD liner around six months ago. 

There was a third eye item this month, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Au Naturel. The shade is a bit ashy on me but I’ve made it work as a base shade, more or less. It is a decent size for my makeup bag, doesn’t crease and applies easily. Really I don’t feel very strongly one way or another about the caviar stick as I am not much of a fan of cream shadows but I can’t complain. It will get used. 

Dear old It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream. You are wonderful. You have a mousse-like texture and are deeply hydrating without being overwhelming. I can fuck with you. I realize skincare is boring to most people but is the one chance I get to truly pamper myself, much like my husband and foot rubs for those big ol’ Fred Flintstone clodhoppers. I also find that with recent life changes those opportunities grow fewer and farther between so I value anytime I find something new that works. 

The final item I received was the Drybar Triple Sec 3-in-1. Is it a dry shampoo? Is it a texturizing spray? That explains about how well this product went over in my household. Tiny sample that got passed on quickly to a family friend. 

Left to Right, Smashbox Golden Hour, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick, Clinique Pretty Easy Eye Pen

All in all, not a bad bag. I loved the theme and style for December and greatly enjoyed two of the three eye products. Honestly, only outright disliking or being unable to use only one product makes this perhaps my best month so far. I’ve also come to notice that when I dislike or cannot use a product it’s typically a hair product. Perhaps this is why I’ve grown to look forward to the perfume spritzers with the exceedingly low retail values. Play! by Sephora: lowering your expectations one month at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment