Tuesday, July 31, 2018

June 2018 Birchbox Review


Birchbox is a monthly subscription that delivers 5 beauty samples to members for $10 a month. Samples are curated for members based on profile answers, beauty preferences, comfort and adventure level and skin tone and hair type. My samples almost never match my needs or profile. And yet I cannot unsubscribe for fear of missing out.


My June box had:
 
Philosophy Purity Made Simple – $1.24, Cruelty Free 




 


I appreciate getting acne treatments in boxes even though I don’t often get blemishes. In fact, I’m still working on a tube of Evologie from in January of 2017 and I have my second sample of it (Birchbox does love its repeats) to my mother-in-law. Balance Me Congested Skin Serum is essentially the same thing, just 99% natural according to the box (and I would argue less effective than Evologie). I didn’t experience any irritation and the smell isn’t offensive at all. Still, it’s a nice item to have around. 


Another shampoo(?) Birchbox sent Davines SU Hair & Body Wash in June and to be honest I’ve only bothered using this as a body wash. My hair has too many demands and my head and ass have two entirely different hygiene demands. I do like this a lot as a bod wash though. It isn’t drying and it has a very fresh, crisp, herbal scent to it. Birchbox describes it as citrus but that isn’t quite right. It smells like something I would want to cook with, perhaps thyme, but I can also imagine thyme garnishing a dish with lemon as an accent flavor so there you have it.


My last experience with a Marcelle was less than stellar so it was refreshing to actually enjoy a mascara from the brand. The Xtension Plus Curl mascara promises to give lashes length, definition and curl and though it does not deliver on curl, the length and definition are amazing. I love the length this mascara gives. It’s natural without being too subtle. I rarely curl my lashes so I’m not sure how well the formula holds a curl. It is not too wet or heavy feeling so it doesn’t weigh down my lashes. It’s a great counterpoint to my current favorite, the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir mascara.


June left me with another repeat item. I received the Philosophy Purity Made Simple moisturizer in a very recent Sephora box (reviewed here) and my opinion hasn’t changed. It’s serviceable.

Last but not least was the world’s tiniest sample, the Peek Beauty Metallimatte Blush in the shade A-boo, HAHAHAHAHA, get it!?! Edit: sarcasm. What can I say? It’s a peachy cream blush that is quite similar in shade to a blush I received back in November.

In indirect sunlight
My chief complaint about this sample is that it is so freaking tiny. My finger looked at it and had to judge its angle of entry so as not to cause catastrophic damage upon impact. A slide rule may or may not have been involved.
With flash
The shade itself is a shimmery cream peach color: it works with my coloring to make my cheeks look like that raw last layer of epidermis right before you start hitting graft territory. Not my best look, really but I can see how some people do enjoy the road rash cheek look. Personally I prefer a deeper berry shade to my cheeks.

In indirect sunlight

With flash
This was one of the least inspired boxes I’ve received in a while from Birchbox. No, that is entirely untrue. I’m just salty about the blush and shampoo/body wash. I like the blemish serum, those are always useful. I used them a ton during pregnancy and even though I won’t have any more kids, god willing, I do still get the occasional hormonal flare-up. I could not justify spending that Davines kind of money just to wash my ass, sorry, Birchbox. Philosophy makes a nice face moisturizer but unfortunately this just isn’t a new product for me. It’s going to get used though so no worries there. I love the Marcelle mascara. That alone made the box. Lastly there is the tiny blush sample. *After further research* Well shit, Birchbox seems to think this teensy tin is full sized and worth $22. Welp, there you have it, folks. Pretending the blush was full sized, my June box is valued at $60.85, incredible given how much air it was full of. Sorry for the abrupt end to this post but I just sneezed and woke the sleeping demon 3 month old.

More super late posts to come later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment