Wednesday, July 11, 2018

May 2018 Sephora Play Review


"I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-Douglas Adams


It's July so I suppose it's time I delivered a Sephora Play review that should have been dropped off back in May, probably best with minimal excuse and preamble. The rundown: Sephora Play is a $10 a month subscription that sends 5 beauty, skincare or hair care items and a bonus fragrance (sometimes they send a foil packet instead though). There is a waitlist though so if you do want to subscribe you might be shelved for a month or two so prepare for that potential roadblock.
 


Back to May though. It was a good box, guys!


Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper - $5.71, Cruelty Free, Vegan
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - $6.48, Cruelty Free
DevaCurl Supercream Coconut Styler - $5.49, Cruelty Free

I’ve professed my love for the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir in the past. I’ve also expressed my disappointment that my toddler grabbed my mascara by the wand with her sticky toddler hands and ruined it after maybe two weeks worth of wear so I was ecstatic to see this repeat item show up in my Play box. I’m sure many subscribers would be annoyed to see a repeat item, especially less than 6 months after receiving the item a first time but this is my go to mascara, next to the IT Cosmetics Superhero Stretch mascara. It coats every lash while adding volume crazy volume and some length, though the length isn’t as extreme as IT Cosmetics. I cannot attest to how well the mascara holds a curl though because I am constantly forgetting to curl my lashes, it’s just a step that doesn’t occur to me until I am it the door.

My second repeat item of the month was the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper. While not the blackest eyeliner ever, I cannot overlook the versatility and precision of the super fine brush tip. This was the first liquid liner I ever encountered where I was able to neatly line my hooded lids. It does not bleed into the fine lines of my lid, it doesn’t sweat off or melt with the oils on my face throughout the day and the brush is made of 325 bristles that are so fine that it looks like a super flexible felt tip liner.


Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is fine and all but it is not exactly what I am looking for in a Primer. It smoothed my skin a little but I was really hoping this would mattify more. It didn’t. I did love how easily it spread and absorbed as a clear shade instead of leaving an ashy cast like other primers. The scoop-like applicator was a bit weird though... I’ve taken to wearing it alone on a bare face to even out my texture a little bit and really as an everyday sunscreen (oh, did I forget to mention the SPF 15? It has SPF 15.) It does have a slightly cool/blue hue to it though so I have to make sure to fully rub it in, but the blue is rather brightening. Another thing to point out about Hourglass as a brand is that I love their packaging (aside from the paddle applicator). This frosted glass bottle feels so luxe that I didn't even mind how relatively small the sample was. Thanks, Hourglass! Take some notes, Benefit.


I love getting Sephora Collection items in my box occasionally. It is. I’ve to see how well SC items hold up to similar name brand and high end items. Another bonus is if I like the SC item I can run out and buy it at a more reasonable price. I see you and your marketing, Sephora. I see you. The Sephora Collection Mud Mask was a thick, pasty clay that was mildly irritating quite drying. It extracted some blackheads but ultimately it just wasn’t worth it.

DevaCurl Supercream Coconut Styler has been logging a lot of miles in my girls’ hair lately had a great run. I love how large the sample size is and it does a wonderful job of moisturizing without weighing hair down as a leave-in conditioner. I love the scent of Devacurl products too so I will occasionally find myself just sniffing my kids’ hair. Odd, I’m aware.


The last item I got was Chloe Nomade Eau de Parfum. It is a very warm, full bodied, almost autumnal floral scent that doesn’t last more than an hour or two. It smells pleasant but overall it is just an unremarkable fragrance. Nothing really stands out to me as memorable an noteworthy.

Hourglass primer (see the slight blue?) and KVD Trooper Eyeliner
I absolutely loved May’s Sephora box. There were some repeats but they are tried and true products I love. I've already blasted through the mud mask and the hair styler but everything else is going strong. The value was definitely there at $36.93 but most importantly, it's a box I will get a ton of use out of (especially with the mascara and eyeliner). If it weren't so dry I could see myself buying the SC mud mask. I didn't care for how dry and irritating it was so I might have to experiment with other SC items, especially if I happen to find anything on sale. Again, great marketing, Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment