Thursday, October 25, 2018

August 2018 Birchbox Review


Birchbox is a subscription service that delivers 5 sample sized beauty items to your doorstep for $10 a month. Birchbox sends out a variety of items so each box is tailored to subscribers based on a profile they set up upon signing up. Brands often range from mestige to high end but it’s a great way for people like me to try products and brands they would have a hard time otherwise dropping that kind of money on. 


August tried so hard to be a great month but sadly it sort of mixed the mark for me. The items included were:




Shadow sticks are great for traveling and make great base colors. This is the first LOC kid color I tried and it was a very pretty rose gold. Somehow it still appeared a bit more silvery on me, but perhaps it was just the cream shimmer that betrayed me. I tend to look better in creamy matte shades than I do creamy shimmery shades. Still though, it’s a nice color to have around just to mix things up. (Swatches below.)

This was my favorite item of the box. It moisturized without leaving my face feeling filmy. I’ve been in need of a lightweight moisturizer, especially with the coming winter months. Let’s be honest, I could use a heavy duty moisturizer sometimes but it’s something I have to ease into so I don’t go insane from the added layer of protective wax on my face. Without the transition products I will end up feeling like a BabyBel cheese, but without feeling delicious.

This product was a bit of a waste on me. It is absolutely useless on my hair and the one kid who might actually have hair that could benefit from it is too young for curling irons. I sprayed this on her hair anyway just to see if it would enhance curls and it just led to a sticky mess. Thank god I don’t have straight hair. Spraying sugar water into it would drive me insane with the texture and stickiness.



I wanted to love these things. It’s a good brand and they’re makeup wipes. How can you possibly go wrong? Well, let’s start with teeny tiny wipes that are gift wrap tissue paper thin, dry out in record time, and have such a small surface area that they are more like mislabeled eye makeup wipes than general makeup wipes. It took 2 to clean a little more than 3/4 of the makeup off of my face. They dried out so quickly it was akin to a brush cleansing wipe, but with a fraction of the efficacy.
The faded swatch on the far right was after my attempt to remove the lip stain (mentioned later in this post) with the Vasanti wipes.



I also wanted to like this product but it was wrong for a couple of reasons. Here, hold my latte, thanks. My lips are just in no condition for a product like this. It adheres to my dry patches like a magnet, accentuating any uneven pigmentation I naturally have. And before you ask: yes, I did use a scrub and a balm. The stain is so watery that it spreads out everywhere and I find myself constantly wiping red stain off of my teeth. The color... I can’t even. It is an orange red that just looks clownish and downright offensive on my skin tone. I tried different things but it’s just basically an unworkable color for me. The applicator is a brush tip which is a shame. It is difficult to control and offers roughly 2% precision, and that’s me being generous.

Left to right: LOC eyeshadow, dry Clarins lip stain, wet Clarins lip stain.
August’s Birchbox was pretty much a just, unfortunately. I got some wipes for swatches, a moisturizer and an eyeshadow out of it though so hooray for me, I guess? Spoiler: it gets a little bit better in the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment