Tuesday, November 13, 2018

September 2018 Birchbox Review


Birchbox is a subscription that delivers 5 sample sized makeup, hair care and skincare items to your mailbox for $10 a month. The sample sizes might not be the largest but Birchbox is a great get if you care about trying luxury brands you might otherwise not feel comfortable dropping cash on. Not to mention the cute gift boxes that can be repurposed if you have more creative ability than I do.
 

September’s box had 5 pretty solid items:



I needed a new foaming cleanser so Kiehl’s Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash could not have come at a better time. This cleanser does form but unfortunately for me it is a gel cleanser, not a foaming cream cleanser. I just never really feel fully clean after using a gel cleanser but I guess it’s better than nothing? It’s a full 30 mL too which is on the large side for a Birchbox sample.

 
Huzzah, a hair spray sample that I won’t use. Thanks, Birchbox. One thing I have to give Oribe though is that their packaging is always beautiful and their products smell amazing. Oribe has a signature scent that is not unlike cologne and the container (mostly the cap of the container) looks like it could be a perfume from a department store counter.

I am proud of Birchbox for sending out a (full sized pan?) makeup item that isn’t a deluxe mascara or eyeliner. I have never heard of the brand Ittsē outside of Birchbox but it’s a name I’ve seen pop up once in a blue moon. This is my first experience with the brand though. The shade Metamorphosis is a beautiful shimmery nude shade: the same shade I have repeated about half a dozen times throughout my collection thanks to subscription boxes. It applied smoothly and beautifully. I barely had to tap the pan with a flat shaded brush to get a full coating of shadow to apply in one good sweep. The pigmentation is there, the lasting power is there, the blendability is there, and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly but with a polished, finished look.
A barely-there Ittsē swatch.

Air Repair Protect + Prevent Hydrating Face Serum did not last me very long. I know it’s only 4 mL but my face has been so dry that I blasted through this in record time. It was wonderfully hydrating, didn’t irritate my skin and didn’t leave me feeling like a frog’s feet-tacky. I used this mostly at night so I could be a little more liberal without having to worry about that shiny look after about 6 hours and it worked well. It is a thinner textured serum so it allows skin to breathe still and is probably best for normal to combo skin, people with oily skin might want a little less and dry skin folks will definitely want something a little more. I didn’t notice a scent either, which may work well for those with sensitive skin.

I wanted so badly to try out the Hero Cosmetics Mighty Patch but I have nothing to try it on. I’ve never wished for a breakout as much as I did when I saw these. If I was still pregnant the entire pack would be gone. I slapped a patch on my face for the hell of it and though I can’t speak of the efficacy, I can say it lends in almost seamlessly with my skin. Unless I get very close to a mirror I cannot see a seam or shade difference so that is pretty amazing. It allows me to wear a full face of makeup still without contaminating brushes or tools while still treating acne. I will have to provide an update after I roll my face in some Crisco.

Aside from the hair perfume spray this was a useful box: face wash, acne treatment, another eye shadow in a wearable color, acne treatment. The worst case scenario with the repeat shadows I have, I can build a makeup kit for my kids when they’re old enough to want to destroy my things, which isn’t very long from now in all reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment