Friday, February 1, 2019

November 2018 Play! by Sephora


Play! by Sephora is a $10 monthly subscription that delivers sample sized skincare, hair care and makeup right to your doorstep. The best part about Sephora’s subscription box is that all items can be found either in store or online. Sephora also sends out 50 bonus Beauty Insider points to be redeemed with purchase either in store or online with each box. These points typically expire by the end of the following month.

November’s box contained:






I was dumb and forgot to get a shot of the front of the packaging.

I received this eye cream back in January of 2018. I liked it, I had no complaints. You can see the full review here.


Oh my lord, this was tragically disappointing. Sephora used a ton of words to say “liquid lipstick” which is all that this sample is. The formula wasn’t bad. It dried down quickly and thoroughly without being too drying on my lips. The transfer was minimal. The sample was ant sized but that did not bother me so much because of how much I disliked the shade. Holy zombie lips, Batman, it was such a terrible fit and of course Sephora claimed it was picked for my skin tone.  Nice try, guys. I had to pass this on to a very fair skinned, redheaded coworker.

Wearing the Sephora Collection Lippie in Pink Tea.
That pissed off look when I realize a sample just isn't for me.


This is another repeat item for me thanks to Birchbox this time. I think it’s best suited for someone with dry skin. My opinion of this moisturizer has not changed over time. You can see my original review here.



I think I’ve already stated that I have accrued an assload of setting powders over the past couple of months. It is most unfortunate that I do not often use setting powders. I feel like they cause flashback and I look like a powdery vampire if I use even the slightest amount to sufficiently set my makeup (i.e. miniscule quantities). At least this powder is very finely milled. It does a decent job of hiding any oiliness I may fall victim to throughout the day. The flashback is just a deal breaker for me though. I do appreciate the pot being large enough to dip at least half of a face brush in to.A darker powder or a banana powder in a box would be amazing. Let’s work in that, brands. Thanks!


This spray smells great. It doesn’t really help much in conditioning Lizzie’s hair but at least it does provide some moisture to Lizzie’s hair if I need to wet it for styling (I usually use water if I don’t have a light spray from a subscription box) but honestly, I would rather a thicker spray leave in conditioner for this sort of task.


I was so thrilled to get a fragrance instead of a foil packet. This scent doesn’t smell entirely unlike the geriatric wing of the hospital. It smells like my grandmother or her aunts, basically anybody born in the roaring 20s but mixed with just a hint of rubbing alcohol and some bar soap. I can wear it, I probably will wear it, but it would work best as the finishing touch to a Josephine Baker costume.

This wasn’t the absolute worst Sephora Play box I received but it certainly wasn’t memorable. Everything will get some use (aside from the lipstick) but other than the Clinique eye cream, everything else is at the far bottom of my priority list. The box would have been stronger if it was entirely skin care (and one hair item if it can’t be avoided). I really do hope 2019 is a better year but I’m nowhere near wanting to cancel my subscription. Clearly, Sephora has me by the short and curlies.

No comments:

Post a Comment