Thursday, January 31, 2019

November 2018 Birchbox Review



Birchbox is a $10 monthly beauty subscription that tends to provide (mostly skincare and hair care) samples of brands ranging from mid-range to prestige. I’ve been a subscriber for 2 years now and while there are better subs out there, I just cannot quit you, Birchbox. Call it fear of missing out, maybe.

November’s box contained:



  
I used this cream on Lizzie’s hair and it worked great. It hydrated and detangled without leaving her hair looking greasy or weighed down. It also has that same peppery smell that every other Number 4th product I’ve used has. If I have to receive a hair sample, I would rather it be this type of product and from this brand.


LOC eyeshadow freshly swatched (right) and blended out (left) and some random eyeliner swatches that wouldn't wash off.
This liquid shadow is a beautiful rose gold shade and extremely foiled. Unfortunately I don’t usually go for foiled shadows on myself. I prefer a light, satin finish. The formula is a bit difficult to apply but I want to chalk that up to my lack of experience with liquid shadows and doe foot applicators. I love that the shadow is not sticky at all once it dries completely contradicting all of my expectations. The color payoff is quite intense. I cannot figure out a way to wear this for an everyday look.


This is a very creamy moisturizer. It’s a bit too thick for me to use for a daytime cream but it’s great for evenings inside when I don’t care if I have a bit of shine. Like other Avène products I’ve tried, there’s no fragrance and this product is well suited for sensitive skin.


Eh… Issa wash. The smell is alright. It smells a bit herbal, not unlike herbal tea but quite unlike something I would cook or marinade in. It’s an unfamiliar scent that smells like it wants to remind me of late spring/early summer but isn’t quite there yet. I guess what I’m saying is coconut is not the top note here. It wasn’t a drying moisturizer but it wasn’t very hydrating either. I just used a whole lot of words to say “Meh.” I’m just glad the size was pretty generous (for Birchbox).


Alright, come on, Birchbox. You should know better than this. While I wanted to try to be excited about this it’s pretty ridiculous to see a single use consumable powder and think that is worth putting in a subscription box not as a bonus sample. These collagen sticks contain a powder that turns into a semi-gelatinous powder that doesn’t fully dissolve in the recommended volume of water. I received the flavor strawberry lemonade and it tasted a bit like Sweet & Low. Top to bottom, this sample was a punishment and I think sending out a single stick (or sending this type of sample at all) was a poor choice on Birchbox’s part.

Wearing the LOC eye shadow at the end of a long, oily day.
November was pretty much a bust. At least I got an eye shadow out of it and a quickie hair product for Lizzie but overall this is the first box I’ve received in a while that I could just do without entirely. Really, I more regret using the eye shadow than anything else because I could have otherwise passed it on to somebody.  I will try to use it to step outside of my comfort zone for a more bold makeup look every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment