Tuesday, January 1, 2019

October 2018 Sephora Play Review




Play! By Sephora is a monthly subscription box that delivers skincare, hair care and makeup items that can range from the house brand to high end right to your front door. Sample sizes are always on the small size, sometimes deluxe size, but the value is usually there (for me). The boxes aren’t anywhere near as personalized as Ipsy bags. In fact, I would say its level of personalization is about on par with Birchbox for me. There are a ton of repeats within a calendar year but if you like the brands and items Sephora ships then this box would be a good call. If you are a frequent Sephora shopper, each box has 50 bonus reward points that can be redeemed and put toward a future mini not unlike the items found in each box).



October’s box included:






Boy, did I judge this foundation when I first saw it. Ok well, I’m still judging it. It’s quite light and yellow, too light to be very useful on me. It’s cute that Sephora states that it was chosen for my skin tone. I decided to make the bet of this and try to use it for highlighting my under eye are. The stick isn’t the creamiest but it doesn’t stray or melt off of my face either so that’s nice. It’s medium to full coverage; it’s more of a look than I usually go for so blending it out takes some effort on my part. It’s a fun little product to play with and try to experiment with, I’m just not confident enough to leave the house painted like a yellow geisha. 


Please tell me what the difference is between Gimme Brow and Gimme Brow+. I cannot tell a difference yet. Honestly, I wish I could stop receiving benefit brow products. Clearly I am in a state of unkemptness where a product to thicken my brows is entirely unnecessary. I am embarrassed to admit how long it’s been since I had my brows threaded but I think it was at least 2 seasons ago.


This primer did not do anything for me as a primer. It was hydrating but it did not mattify or fill any pores. I’ve been using this primer as a moisturizer instead. I find it comparable to the Belif Aqua Bomb. That was pleasant, it’s just disappointing that invent use this for its intended purpose.


Caudalie Radiance Serum is a repeat item for me but it’s not necessarily unwanted. This tiny bottle can last me damn near forever.  A tiny amount goes a long way to provide moisture and nutrients. I found it makes me look a little shiny and smells a bit... odd but it’s a nice backup serum to have if I run out of my Belif and Elizavecca serums that I want to review soon.


I’ve tried this primer before and it wasn’t my favorite. It applies somewhat dry and the color of it leaves my skin looking ashy. It isn’t the smoothest application either, but at least I’m not shiny. Could that be considered a win? No, not really. I wasn’t overly thrilled to see this in my box but mostly because it wasn’t a new discovery for me.


I made it through this entire post and somehow forgot one of the best items in the box, the Yves Saint Laurent bonus fragrance. I love this rich, floral scent! It's one of my favorites that I've received in a Sephora box so far. It almost starts to smell fruity on me but that floral smell is hard to overcome. The listed notes are strawberry, raspberry, bergamot, calone, pear, orange flower, jasmine sambac, white peony, datura, patchouli, white musk, ambrox, cedarwood and crystal moss but I'm just smelling floral notes that happen to be leaning toward strawberry.



I think October was the month I finally realized Sephora is a good basic discovery box for beginners but not the great outside of that. It’s wonderful if you want to try a new technique like contouring, strobing or highlighting with minimal cost and risk but beyond that it’s kind of a waste of money, depending on what your wants and needs are and how much you dislike repeat items. I can still justify my subscription because I enjoy the skincare and the fragrance bonuses. Hair and makeup is where my money starts flying out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment