Saturday, December 29, 2018

October 2018 Birchbox Review




Birchbox is one of the OG subscription boxes and arguably one of the most popular. Birchbox is known for providing members with high end brands and focusing on skincare and hair care but the sample sizes are typically smaller than what you would find in Ipsy, Allure and Target and items aren’t always as accessible for purchase like Play! by Sephora. October’s box featured:



·         Clean Rain Eau de Parfum
·         Eyeko Brow Liner


 
This was a decent shampoo. I mean, it washed and it smelled like Christmas trees and lumber yard. I liked the smell even though it weirded me out a bit since it’s so unlike most shampoo scents. I as surprised it didn’t have the signature, peppery scent I’ve come to associate with the No. 4 brand.
 
The conditioner smelled more like flocked trees and chemicals than its cousin the shampoo. Really it smelled more like artificial Christmas decorations than the Christmas tree itself. So ignoring my usual complaint about conditioner in foil packets (hey, I use more conditioner than shampoo, so sue me!) I was annoyed that this sample coated my hair but did not penetrate at all. It felt like using the dollar bottles of Suave stocked en masses at 99¢ stores.


I imagine this would be a great face moisturizer for someone with dry, sensitive skin but it just doesn’t work for me. It is a super thick, scentless cream and contains vitamin E but it is just way too heavy for my needs. It actually reminded me of a very thick Cetaphil or basic Lubriderm: both are great for new tattoos but aside from that they are entirely unremarkable.

 

This is certainly a very light, fresh scent. It’s what people should smell like when they get out of a shower. It has notes of melon, water lily, daisy, and woods but somehow it manages to not smell floral. It actually smells the way chamomile tastes and I am not friends with chamomile. This scent does not work with my body chemistry; I tend to gravitate toward floral, citrus and powdery scents.



I was annoyed to find my eyeliner arrived broken but I didn’t bother to complain, I simply sharpened it. This little guy did not disappoint at all though. It’s so creamy, super black, glides on easily and does not transfer. It took a while to remove swatches in the shower with soap and water. I am awash in black eyeliners but this one seems to hold up better than some of the other ones I have for tightlining.

 
God bless Eyeko, they just keep trying but can never win my over. So I received this felt tip brow liner in brown but it is just useless on me. I guess it’s a good thing that the tip is so fine and the color is not very bold but the brown shade is just too light and too warm for my brows. It washed off very easily and it was too light to pass as an eyeliner if I wasn’t going to use it on my brows. I passed this off to my cousin who is a bit lighter than I am.

"Hey! I can swatch with just the tip" Left to right: Lise Watiers eyeliner, Eyeko Brow liner

"Hm, guess I couldn't." A proper swatch of the Lise Watiers eyeliner

Welp, there’s October’s Box in a nutshell. That’s telling when receiving an eyeliner is the highlight of a subscription box. Additionally, I don’t want to sound like I am displeased with the perfume but I don’t appreciate when Birchbox sends perfume as one of the 5 samples, I would rather receive one as a bonus or not at all. I also dearly wish they would send conditioner samples that are larger than the shampoo samples. Even better but not likely, try to be Target Beauty Box and send equal sized shampoo and conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment