Friday, December 21, 2018

September 2018 Sephora Play Review

Let's hop in the way-back machine and visit September for a Sephora Play review!


Play! by Sephora is a subscription box that sends subscribers 5 makeup, skincare or haircare items and a 6th bonus item for $10 a month plus tax. Samples are never full sized, unfortunately, but the items are usually great. Everything can be found either in store or on Sephora's website.

I loved almost everything about September. I received:

  

As usual, Sephora provided a fold out sheet detailing the items I received for the month and how to use the products. The reverse side also included a card for 50 bonus beauty insider points that can be used in store or online to use toward another mini (about the size of what we get in the box). You can think of each sample in a box valuing anywhere from 100-250 beauty insider points. It may not be the best system since you still have to purchase something to redeem, but the bonus beauty insider points build up quickly if you shop frequently (I don't). It's also useful to note that they expire at the end of the following month.



Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask
PTR is amazing! I realize now I did not give Feel a fair shot a few months back but they are to blame because I was only following their directions. So, this mask isn't the easiest to spread but it warms up as you slather it on. This heat dissipates quickly so to fully activate it you have to massage it in with a little bit of cool water. That's when the magic really starts. It has a slight texture that exfoliates and it warms up, which feels great this time of year. It's very hydrating without leaving my skin feeling greasy after rinsing (I have combo skin). I still follow with moisturizers at night but if I used this during the day I could get away with a toner, serum and eye cream only.


Boscia Cactus Water Moisturizer
This moisturizer is incredible. It is a very thick gel (almost a paste) that absorbs and hydrates so well and does not leave me looking greasy or shiny in the slightest after a full night’s sleep. Smells like agave. I had my reservations but I was not disappointed. Now I must go on a mission to find aloe vera water nearby.

Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Primer
Unfortunately this primer is a no-go for me. I tried this primer years ago and it just doesn’t prime. It hydrates and leaves my face feeling tacky but longevity isn’t the main quality I’m looking for in a primer. I don’t, run, jump or climb trees (a la Eddie Izzard). I am pretty sedentary and I don’t need primers to make base makeup last longer. I need primers to help sooth our texture and pores and control oil. If you have very dry skin or if your face sucks up makeup like a sponge the this primer is probably going to work amazingly for you. 


Marc Jacobs Beauty Shameless Youthful-Look 24H Foundation SPF 25 in Tan Y420
The Marc Jacobs Shameless formula is a heavier coverage than I typically go for but is a perfect match for my face. It is a bit more yellow than I typically wear but even Sephora ColorIQ says it’s a perfect match. It leaves my face looking darker than the rest of my body though because I don’t get much sun exposure. This shade comes up as 2Y09 using the ColorIQ. It can cover most of the discoloration and dots (freckles is too generous of a word) that I have on my face but I typically like for those to show through when I wear base makeup, usually in the form of a tinted moisturizer.

For reference, my ColorIQ varies between 2Y09 (deep in the middle of winter on a particularly anemic day) and 3Y09. I was once tagged as 3Y10 but I had just returned from a road trip. I wore a hoodie the entire time so only my face and hands had any color. I’m just realizing I might be a candidate for either self tanning or lighter foundation paired with bronzer.


I only tried this product on my lips because I have this weird aversion to transferring lip germs to my cheeks even though I have an 8 month old constantly slobbing up my face.The shade wasn't my favorite but the texture was jaw dropping. This is hands down the smoothest lip pencil I have ever used. I love the formula for lips so much?. This actually makes the idea of using it on my cheeks even more off-putting. Just a sneeze and my cheek color will slide off to oblivion.

Nudestix lip pencil in action (indirect sunlight). Clearly I didn't have time for foundation that day.

That dead look in my eyes just before I walk into work, sick and with minimal sleep the night before. I described it to a coworker as “when you see that one “smart kid” who finally gets into honors/AP/college classes and they have to struggle because they hit the ground not running and there is that sudden realization that they were never actually smart. This look was that realization.

Tom Ford Black Orchid Perfume
I love the smell of this perfume. It is beautifully floral and rich and could fill up a room. Really, it's an olfactory assault if it's not your scent so I have to be careful when and where I wear it. I have to give people a very wide berth when I wear this fragrance because of how strong it is. Oh, would that they could make a pepper spray out of this instead of capsaicin, which is all to effective that we already use. Ozzfest 2005 and 2007 would have been far more enjoyable.

Swatched Nudestix lip pencil and Marc Jacobs foundation in indirect natural light.

September was a strong month for Sephora (aside from the primer and the lip product). I love getting the occasional makeup item that actually works for my skin tone. I love getting skin care items that i thoroughly enjoy even more.

I hope to escape kids more frequently during the holiday to knock out a few more posts. Happy Holidays and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment