Saturday, June 15, 2019

February 2019 Birchbox Review




Birchbox is a $15 monthly subscription that provides members with 5 deluxe beauty, skincare and hair care samples in sometimes-cute little boxes can be repurposed as gift or storage boxes. I'll be honest, most of mine just end up in the garbage. Recently Birchbox has increased their price from $10 a month to $15 for new members but hopefully they step up the quality with the price increase. If you're interested, you can use my referral code here. 




February's box featured:
I wanted to try this shade so badly but never received it in a box. My joy was palpable when I saw the spoilers showing that I got this lip gloss in February. My excitement faded a little bit after I tried it on. I've been very vocal in the past about my dislike for the formula of MAC Lipglasses but I was hoping the color would outweigh the negatives. I tried this on and I looked like a backup singer from a knock-off En Vogue performance at a birthday party.  I mean, it was a cute look once upon a time but short of having a crop top, low rider jeans, butterfly clips and pencil thin eyebrows, I don't think the shade of this lip gloss will work great with my skin tone unless I want my lips to shimmer as they disappear.

No no, let's back this train up. I'm being way too hard on this product. I can see myself in a future post complaining about how I never receive nude shades that actually match me-that nude shade I receive are always too pink or always wash me out. The shade is great, the hue will serve a purpose, it's just not an every day look for me since I prefer to have deeper lips to contrast against my skin. What doesn't come across in photos is the irridescent glitter which happens to feel a little gritty when worn (par for the course though). Oh Baby leaves a hyper glassy, very sparkly shine without any of the added pink that is in every lip product ever. It's perfect for making my lips shiny but otherwise invisible. I imagine it would also pair well with a bold eye, I just don't know how to do makeup.

Sunday Riley Auto Correct Eye Contour Cream
I am still using this eye cream. It has a light, peachy shade with a minute shimmer. everything blends in perfectly when applied but it does have a slight brightening affect. I love how light and moisturizing this eye cream is and I will definitely miss it when it's gone.


GLOV Quick Treat
This was an unfortunate sample. So the idea behind this little guy is if I screw up on my eye makeup I can just wet it and erase my faux pas. I love the idea of a reusable eye makeup remover but this little finger glove is so large that I cannot make minor corrections without erasing my entire eye. On the other hand, it's great at erasing my entire eye!

Nexxus Therappe Shampoo and Nexxus Humectress Conditioner
Points to birchbox for sending equal parts shampoo and conditioner. Unfortunately I hate that they are considered individual samples sicne I essentially have to use them together. I've used these in the past with no strong feelings one way or another. They cleaned, they moisturized.

Here I swatched the MAC lip glass at various angles in indirect natural light (it was cloudy out). Hopefully this displays what I mean by shimmery invisible lips.

Me doing my best Edward Cullen impression.
MAC Lipglass in direct sunlight.

MAC Lipglass in indirect sunlight.

All but vanished when viewed at the right angle.
I love the Sunday Riley eye cream and I'm pretty alright with the MAC Lipglass. So much so that I've even grown accustomed to the texture over weeks of use. Don't get me wrong, I still greatly dislike the texture, I've just come to tolerate it now. The Nexxus shampoo will get some time off the bench because I just used the last of my shampoo and conditioner that I've been working on forever. I love the salon smell in the shower. I want to sign off with "hopefully my boxes will be better in the coming months" but I realize I just sound like the poor woman who's other half constantly cheats on her in what is ultimately an on again/off again relationship. But maybe he's changed! Hopefully it'll be different this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment