Tuesday, July 23, 2019

March 2019 Sephora Review

Play! by Sephora is a $10 subscription box that delivers 5 sample sized beauty products and a bonus item every month. I love that Sephora includes 50 bonus Beauty Insider points to be redeemed with purchase every month and items sent out can always be found in store or online at Sephora.com. I dislike that the items provided are always sample sized.



March's box included:


Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation in Y505
What's funny is I was just complaining about having to change my profile to reflect my true skin tone instead of the "olive" I've been claiming because some of the makeup products I was receiving did not accurately reflect my other concerns noted in my profile. Lo and behold, I receive another unusable foundation that I get to pass on to my friend. At least I had the good fortune of trying this formula in the past so at least I do not feel like I missed out on any discovery here. This foundation is a little too heavy for my needs but everything sheers out to my overall liking when applied with a blending sponge. I still prefer MUFE's tinted moisturizer.


Sephora Collection LashCraft Big Volume Mascara
This was a serviceable mascara. The wand is hourglass shaped with traditional bristles so it really gives my lashes one hell of a coat. The brush does lend itself to clumping though and it's difficult to apply without hitting my hooded eyelids. I did not notice any flaking or wandering at the end of the day but I will have to hold off on going ham on this mascara since I have about 15 open at the moment. Sadly, that's only a slight exaggeration.


Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
I was so amazed by this product that it's on my list of definite future purchases, regardless of the $36 price tag. I actually started wearing sun screen every day-I only spend about 15 minutes outside a day commuting between Lizzie's pre-school and work. The rest of my time is spent locked away inside a windowless lab and I still think this product is worth purchasing! It's a clear, smooth gel that applies easily and works well with or without makeup. There is minimal effort rubbing it in (i.e. no white cast or grease you have to work forever at to absorb). My previous love was a Banana Boat sun screen but that was more of a lotion that required work. If I want to apply a lotion to my face then sure, that one was amazing but what I love about this is that it isn't a lotion at all, just a smooth gel that can be layered on top of something without changing the texture or consistency of my skincare or makeup.

UPDATE: I'm torn between wanting to buy more of this and wanting to stick to physical sun screens because they have less of an environmental impact. I'm worried that if I do go with a physical sun screen I will end up looking like Sammy Sosa. Any suggestions for deeper skin tones are appreciated.



Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30
I wasn't a fan of this cream. It's not a proper moisturizer, it's supposed to be used after your standard moisturizer. I believe this is truly a color correcting SPF. I tried using this as a moisturizer but it applied very patchily and it did not blend well at all. It also left a sickly green cast and a tacky feeling. The packaging says it's supposed to dry beige but even after the green color disappeared, I still looked rather sick. I also do not suffer from redness so this product may have just been a waste on me.


Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
Yet another dry shampoo to pass on to a friend or coworker. (reference first winter round of Birchbox). I gave this to my mother-in-law because she needed to make a quick run without the shower.


Maison Margiela 'Replica' in the scent By the Fireplace
I need to buy this perfume. I used it up before the first week of April was over and I received my box pretty late in March. It's a very earthy, woodsy yet sweet scent. It smells like campfire but without dirt. It has notes of clove oil, chestnut accord, and vanilla accord. My husband loved the smell of it too saying it reminded him of camping with his father. I read many complaints about the odd inclusion of this autumnal fragrance in a springtime box but who cares? It's number one or two out of 4 memorable, must-repurchase scents I've received in a Sephora box.

March's box wasn't awful. It wasn't the most exciting box ever but I loved the perfume sample and sunscreen and  I will get some use out of the mascara, and I can try to buy friendships by bartering the foundation and dry shampoo. It's a little disheartening though that my favorite item was the $2 sample of perfume, of which I now must purchase a rollerball, and a sun screen, which is just a very basic item but wow did it ever impress.

No comments:

Post a Comment