Wednesday, July 31, 2019

March 2019 Birchbox Review



Birchbox is a $15 a month subscription that offers 5 to 6 beauty related items. Birchbox is historically my least favorite subscription box of the ones I’m subscribed to but they’ve been trying to turn it around since they announced the price increase with more curated box options, additional samples, and new brand offerings. I believe my March 2019 box was before they announced the price increase and so it still features only 5 items. I also feel that I must defend my subscription by stating that I locked in my price at $10 a month for an annual subscription prior to the price increase. 


   



·         Benefit BADgal BANG! Mascara


·         Natura Castanha Hand Cream


This was a serviceable eye cream. It was really a bit too thick so I guess it’s appropriately labeled a might recovery cream. It did a great job of hydrating and lasted for a couple of months of everyday use and average to heavy application. I can’t see myself buying a full size in the future though because its thickness did make it fairly limited in its practicality. 


I wanted to love this product. I tried very hard to love it. I was hesitant to use this when the baby was sleeping with us but I had a good go of it when I was in SLC for a week. It did absolutely nothing to help me conk out but the lavender scent was great for a general sense of relaxation though! 



I loved this mascara! It coated my lashes perfectly, it did an amazing job of volumizing, and the clumps were minimal. There was no smudging, flaking or wandering throughout the day. I only got a handful of good wears out of it though because on the day I was trying to take pictures of my unboxing, my 3 year old unscrewed my mascara and grasped the wand, leaving me to worry about the fingerprints she would leave everywhere and my eyeballs as they rot out of my head as a result of some bacterial infection. I was torn between very upset and very sad/disappointed.



For useless hair products, this was one of the lesser offenses. This oil-labeled-serum is scentless and fairly thick, like Moroccanoil thick. It did a great job of coating my kids’ hair but the little container was just way too small to get a real feel for the product. I didn’t use it to contain frizz; it’s much better suited to contain frizz for people with very fine, straight hair or people who prefer heat styling. I just used it as a cheap form of moisturizing in conjunction with other products. 



I received this hand cream when the weather was still relatively crappy so I drank this up like it was cider. It smelled like what I imagine Coty powder or a grandmother’s vanity or a house with floral sofas with vinyl covers would smell like; somewhat powdery with a heavily floral perfume base. It was slightly greasy but very hydrating and I thought the painter’s tube was just too adorable.


This was a decent functional box. My favorite items were the Benefit BADgal BANG! Mascara and Natura Castanha hand cream and everything else was just kind of a nice addition to the box. It was in no way worth the $10 that I spent on it but that’s the risk I take when I pay an annual subscription, I guess. I just wish that Birchbox would take into account the long-term memberships when providing samples to people if they’re going to cheap Charlie things. I mean, I’ve been a subscriber since December of 2016. I know 2 ½ years is peanuts compared to some of the subscribers that have been around since the brand’s inception who complain about the same things I do. That’s really one of the things to be aware of if you do decide to subscribe to Birchbox. Personally, I believe there are stronger boxes out there, namely Play! by Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment