Thursday, August 1, 2019

April 2019 Birchbox Review


Alas, It’s August and I’m reviewing April’s clutter still. There is shame. Birchbox is a $15 a month subscription that offers 5 to 6 beauty related items. Of all of my subscriptions, Birchbox is my least favorite. The good news is they’ve been trying to turn it around since they announced the price increasing the number and quality of the monthly curated boxes and they now offer at least 6 samples a month.







April’s box had 6 items. I received:





This mascara broke my heart. I thought this was the same as the M·A·C Cosmetics False Lashes Extreme Black Mascara that I received once upon a time (and did not really care for) but the 3D mascara is an entirely different beast. The wand was small and made of a soft silicone or rubber providing the volume and even coverage and natural look that I crave in a mascara. It was a less painful alternative to my Covergirl mascara I was using for a natural lash look. 3D Black Lash It broke my heart though because I dropped the wand in the sink one morning on one of my first uses so I didn’t feel comfortable using it for more than a couple of weeks before tossing it.




This was an unremarkable product. I used it maybe twice in my kids’ hair but I think it would work best if they had straight hair. I can’t bring myself to reach for this whenever I comb their hair. I always go for the Kinky Curly Knot Today detangler (I keep that shit holstered on my hip).




If you have dry skin and want extreme hydration, this is the cream for you. A pea sized amount is enough for my entire face and it just locks in the moisture. I feel like this moisturizer would work best for me in dry-ass winter. At night. When it’s -25ºF out. It doesn’t feel greasy so that’s a huge bonus!




I am not sure how to characterize the scent. I received the scent Crème Brûlée and it smells like flan and a clementine had a baby. I’m not quite positive I love the scent though. It smells like Axe tried to market masculine interpretation of a Bath & Body Works scent.




I love this oil for overnight use. The deep berry shade is not a look I would often reach for, if ever. The formula was great. It was a nice oil that wasn’t slippery like Tony Moly lip oils but it wasn’t a sticky gloss either. My lips feel lush and hydrated when I sleep with the lip oil on overnight. The tiny packaging I received is just a nightmare for application though; the slightest squeeze and there’s a blob of lip oil just spilling out of the tube. The tip ends up being a disgusting mess (think Lip Smackers back when Delia’s was king) transferring the thick coating of lip oil into the cap. I understand the sample packaging is far different from the full sized but my experience with the sample packaging was so unpleasant that I have zero desire to revisit this product in the form of full sized.
Like a sea cucumber made of lip product. I startled it.

Wearing the Wander Beauty Lip Oil in indirect sunlight.







I tried to be a big girl and use a facial oil every night. The blue-green color is just amazing but I don’t know if the color was supposed to serve any purpose. I don’t recall any claims that it is supposed to help reflect blue light from devices at night but if blue light absorption is actually an issue I guess they could try to spin that angle. It’s basic light and optics Physics 102.

The scent of this oil isn’t my favorite. I can’t place the smell and I know this isn’t analogous but the scent reminds me of absinthe, somehow. The craziest thing is the application process. This is a thicker oil and a few drops can suffice for my entire face. I would often find myself rubbing my face for at least 5 minutes trying to rub the oil in and what would catch me off guard was the slightly warming sensation as soon as I distribute it across my face. I’m positive the heat isn’t coming from friction but the oil itself.

Sunday Riley Night Oil before blending.

Sunday Riley Night Oil before blending.

Sunday Riley Night Oil after blending.
April Birchbox breakdown: Not my favorite. I loved the mascara but that was really the only item that could hold my attention. Mascara isn’t the most exciting product in the makeup world so this box was really more of a disappointment than anything. I’m grateful for being able to try different products though.

No comments:

Post a Comment