Tuesday, August 20, 2019

May 2019 Ipsy Review



(As of this posting) Ipsy is a $10 monthly subscription that provides members with 5 beauty items and a cute makeup bag. Items can vary from sample to full size and brands range from private label to mid-range and even the occasional high-end product. Prices will increase to $12 a month starting with the September glam bag. Details about the price increase and other Ipsy subscription levels can be found here.
May’s bag was actually pretty cute. I love the rose gold detail even if the glitter can be a bit much when hit with direct light. This was also the first time I was really excited for a big in months. Sorry about the garbage picture quality. I was trying to outmaneuver the kids while taking advantage of the last of the day's sunlight.






I really enjoy this eyeshadow palette. The shadows work well for my skin tone but I believe my goals may have been unrealistic. What do you notice about the photos of the models Ipsy chose to use for this product? “All very fair,” you say? Exactly! The shades give the models a very beautiful, natural smoky Lydia Deetz look where I just get a more natural glowy look from this palette. For the sake of argument, I’m just going to ignore my lack of makeup application skill. I would say the formula is cream to powder; similar to a Colourpop Super Shock Shadow but a little more densely pressed. The packaging was a pretty sad, cheap plastic though. The eyeshadow pans appear to be full sized but the packaging is definitely not my favorite. I would even prefer cardboard to this type of plastic, unless of course it was made from plant fibers.





I cannot say I enjoy that this brush is double ended. How do I store this thing? I feel as if the entire purpose of double ended brushes is to anger me. They reduce the number of brushes I need to pack for travel but I never travel anywhere, I have to be careful when packing a brush like this, cleaning and letting it dry is a chore, and how the hell do I store this aside from precariously perched on the edge of the sink? This brush is pretty intimidating. I love the flat end for packing on shadows but the fluffy end is pretty large, comparable to an E.L.F. concealer brush in size. The brush did not pick up much product when I tried to use this with the Oryza eyeshadow palette but I do appreciate Ipsy trying to curate coordinating products this month. 


This moisturizer was brilliant. I love how light it feels and how well it absorbs. It also smells wonderful; like a fresh meadow mixed with grapefruit. I realize this certainly isn’t the best product for somebody with sensitive skin since it contains grapefruit oil and has a bit of a fragrance. 


I realize I have been referring to this as “Papaya Recipe” for the longest now. This is a foaming cleanser that wasn’t fairly gentle and not overly drying. I enjoyed it but really, there’s not enough of this product to have an opinion one way or another. 


I think I (almost) love the formula of Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pens. We’re still dating, pretty serious but not quite ready to commit to moving in or dropping the “L” bomb quite yet. “Eye Pen” may be a bit of a misnomer though because these eyeliners are definitely plastic pencil liners that can be sharpened. They are amazingly creamy though. Sage Gold has a bit of shimmer to it and blends out to more of a charcoal color than green. I suppose “Sage” is apropos. 



Rose Glow was my add on for the month. I saw this and thought there’s no way I can pass it up, especially seeing as how I was receiving the Oryza palette. This eyeliner matches the palette perfectly. It’s too bright to work on my upper lash line but I do like using this in my lower water line to brighten up my eyes a bit and in my inner corner. This eyeliner was even creamier than the Sage Gold shade. I’m not disappointed at all!
Left to right: Oryza Palette, Sage Gold eyeliner, Rose Glow eyeliner in natural light

Left to right: Oryza Palette, Sage Gold eyeliner, Rose Glow eyeliner with flash
Not all of the products were a hit this month but Ipsy did a great job of hitting all of my “wants” and coming through with full sized items. The shades are great and workable and classically beautiful. I feel like stepping up my game and trying to use these products for a Christmas glow look with maybe a bright red lip? Oh, let’s definitely file that idea for the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment