Sunday, August 4, 2019

April 2019 Ipsy Review



Ipsy is a $10 subscription that delivers 5 beauty items (sometimes deluxe or sample sized, sometimes full sized) to your doorstep in a makeup bag. Ipsy was my first subscription box ever and it was an amazing way to build up not only a daunting makeup collection but an almost crippling makeup and subscription box addiction. Alright, that might be a bit of hyperbole but if you saw my closet you would agree that my relationship with makeup and subscription boxes isn’t the healthiest. The bag was far from my favorite with its zipper position being half an inch from the top, which I consider a waste of space, and the overall design being a complete miss for me. Inside the bag, April’s products included:









 






The wand is very intimidating at first glance but wow, does it coat the lashes. The formula is pretty light so I wouldn’t say this is the best volumizing mascara but the wand does such a great job at coating each lash that I would definitely consider this a phenomenal defining mascara. I cannot attest to how well it wears throughout the day though because I have so many open mascaras at the moment that I haven’t been able to give this product a fair shake. My lashes felt so flexible, nigh naked, after just one coat though!




I had higher hopes for this cleanser. The foam and efficacy while cleansing was nice but my disappointment lies entirely with the scent. I’ve smelled peach scented TonyMoly hand creams in the past and I was naively hoping this cleanser’s scent would hold up to the hand cleanser. Instead the smell was a bit artificial and only slightly reminiscent of a peach; in fact, it smelled closer to a tube of Lip Smackers than the TonyMoly hand cream I remember smelling.


Oh, holy hell, I have no idea how I’m going to wear this eyeshadow. One day I will channel my inner Totally Hair Barbie and post a look with this shadow and the next product over on Instagram.




If I could get away with “Loved it,” that would be my entire review for this product. I love sheer glosses and I love non-sticky glosses so it was impossible for this product to fail me. Watermelon is the perfect shade name for this gloss. The shade reminds me of the long discontinued E.L.F. Vixen lip gloss but the formula is far lighter and less sticky. This truly is a lip oil. The wear time isn’t the best and it tends to slide around on my lips but it’s worth it for what might be the most comfortable gloss I’ve ever worn. I love that the color is so rich and punchy while still being sheer and allowing my natural lip to shine through (I’m weirded out by opaque glosses, to be honest). Do I thank the brand Jelly Pong Pong or South Korea in this case? Thank you!

Wearing the lip oil in fading, indirect natural light.




This is a very soft, tiny little blending brush that works great for smudging out eyeliner or shadow on my lower lashes (if I actually knew who how to do that). The surface area is just a bit too small to blend out shadow on my lids. I love the look of the brush and really I don’t recall offhand if I have any other brushes that fall right between blending and pencil brush size so this little guy does come in handy on occasion.





I purchased this brush as a $3 add on because I’m cheap and couldn’t pass up a chance to buy a brush type that I don’t own anywhere in my collection from this brand for that price. I don’t regret my purchase… but it was definitely an item I could live without. As soon as I opened it, I examined it and asked myself “Self, would I ever actually use this to brush off fallout? More importantly, would I ever use this to apply highlighter to flag ships coming into the harbor?” The answer was “No” to both of those questions. The only way I could have bought a fan brush at a comparable price is if I bought an E.L.F. brush somewhere. I doubt I would go through the effort of buying an E.L.F. brush if it requires meeting a $25 minimum or getting out of the apartment and to a Target where I can go bankrupt as a result of impulse purchases.

Photo taken in front of the baby prison. Left: Jelly Pong Pong lip oil, Right: Laura Sanchez eyeshadow
April’s review was definitely on the shorter side but April was full of products that were pretty self-evident. It’s hard to go into too much detail reviewing brushes, though I’m sure it would be much easier if brushes were my kink. I don’t even know where to begin reviewing the eyeshadow. The shade was fairly terrifying so a full review is a bit daunting there. Other than that, I’ve been slacking on the makeup front. I found an everyday makeup look I like and I think I need to peel myself away from that routine to start experimenting with shades a little more, but I digress. This was a great month for Ipsy. I love cleansers, I loved my lip gloss, I will never balk or complain about receiving a brush, and I’m still building up my horde of mascara to last me through the next calendar year.

No comments:

Post a Comment