Monday, August 12, 2019

May 2019 Sephora Review


Play! by Sephora is a $10 monthly subscription that delivers 5 beauty products and one bonus item right to your doorstep. I’ve been a subscriber for too many months to count but I do like this box as it’s one of the least disappointing subscription boxes I receive. A contributing factor to the lack of disappointment is the fact that I can find all of the items offered in store or online. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule but that’s due mostly in part to my tardiness posting my unboxings. Case in point: 



March’s box included:




I was just lamenting the loss of this mascara in my March Birchbox at the hands of my #2 child (birth order, not favorite order) so I was very excited to receive a new one. I have so many open mascaras open that I’m shelving this one for a bit. See my previous review here. 


Sephora loves sending out “nude” shades of lipstick. Fortunately for me, this shade was just barely wearable. I can look a little washed out with it so it works best with a deeper eye look. I love the formula; not quite transfer proof but not drying on my lips either. If it comes to a coin toss between an unwearable foundation shade and an unwearable lipstick, I would rather receive an unwearable lipstick every time. At least I can work around it with a lip liner if necessary. 
Stepping Out in fading natural light
Stepping Out with flash


I did not like this lotion as much as the original Brazilian Bum Bum cream I’ve tried from Sol De Janeiro in the past. It moisturizes well, I just dislike the scent of this particular variety, cocoa, I believe. It looks like I wasn’t the only one since it’s no longer carried at Sephora. I provided a link to the original scent (salted caramel, pistachio, and vanilla). 


This eye cream is thick. Like, thick. The container is pretty tiny but it will last long enough for me to get my kids through primary school. I like that it smells like the ocean though. Not ocean breeze scented air freshener but it legitimately smells like the ocean; fresh, almost mildly offensive, a bit evocative of the memories of dodging washed up kelp at Dockweiler or Venice. Yeah, I’m all about this scent. 


I don’t really know what to do with this leave-in and yet I keep receiving it in subscription boxes. I have to use it on #1’s hair just because she has the least extreme curl and very fine hair. It helps moisturize a bit but it’s a wasted product on me in general because nobody in my household heat-styles their hair. 


By salty did the brand mean angry? I can catch the floral scent here, it’s pretty strong. Inoffensive, just strong, leaning generic.

The mascara sample made my month, and I was pleased to see a mostly-wearable lipstick included for my skin type. I know it seems like I poo-poo this box every month but I would have a hard time cancelling if I ever actually needed to. I love the emphasis on skin care and the makeup samples are usually small enough that I feel a sense of accomplishment when I do actually finish one up. Really though, it’s the skincare that seals the deal for me with this sub.











No comments:

Post a Comment