Thursday, September 5, 2019

March Empties

I was honestly doing better at posting. The baby started finally moved out and started sleeping in her own bed, in her own room. I got ahead for a minute pre-typing and posting and then life blindsided me with many distractions, good and bad. Posts will be slowing down a bit as we prepare to move 6 years of clutter, so I'm sorry in advance.

I screwed up and thought I was doing a decent job of being an organized hoarder. As it turns out, this was absolutely not the case. Most of the items from this list are just missing, probably tossed in error. 






Body
I managed to finish off a Love Beauty & Planet Coconut Water and Mimosa Flower body wash. Nothing exciting. It smelled slightly floral and it washed. I guess what I'm saying is my baseline for a body wash are pretty low.


Skincare
I loved my Murad Environmental Shield Essential-C Cleanser and I really want to buy more once I get through my years worth of sample and deluxe sized cleansers. I'm not a big fan of Murad but this cleanser had me singing a different tune. I used it exclusively in the shower because I found that was the easiest way to wash it all off of my face. The citrus scent was refreshing and there were tiny bursts of orange colored citrus pellets that just added to my cleaning ritual.  I loved that this cleanser foamed but not much so it wasn’t overly drying. It was just a very lightly foaming gel cleanser. It might be my favorite gel cleanser that I’ve experienced with Skin Laundry Hydrating Cleanser being my favorite cream cleanser (I really need to buy more of that as well).


I had a 7 mL sample of the Derma-E Overnight AHA peel but I did not see any difference after using it for a couple of weeks. Instructions say to use it once or twice a week but I did not see any difference in skin tone or texture. I want to love the idea of chemical exfoliant but i was not impressed with this particular product. Are my expectations just too high? I’m not asking for a new face. I’m not even asking for questionable inebriated men to have a look of relief on their face when they ask how old I am and I answer with any number above 18.


I did not love Bliss Makeup Melt as a cleanser but I don’t know if I was fair to the product. It is comparable to my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser that I’m nit a fan of. I tried using it as a makeup remover applied directly to the face and removed with cotton rounds. I tried using it as a wet skin cleanser with water. Neither worked and both left my face feeling filmy, much like Cetaphil.
Editing Morgan: I want to repurchase this and try it again. I suspect was using it incorrectly for my skin type. It's absolutely garbage when used to directly wipe makeup off but it may work as a first cleanse in a double cleansing routine, the way I've been using Cetaphil in recent months.


I got tired of looking up in my closet and seeing my Up & Up Deep Clean Cream Cleanser. It’s comparable to the Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser which was my best friend in high school. Nothing was more satisfying than that squeaky-clean feeling where my face felt a bit menthol minty (irritated) and a bit tight (dry as hell). I’ve learned since then. It is still an occasional guilty pleasure but it’s not the best for my combination skin but that might be because I moved from fairly consistent Southern California to the Midwest with its extreme temperature fluctuations. 

At any rate, I had to get rid of this tube. I’ve had it so long that I honestly have no idea when I bought it. I just know I stopped using it about a year or two ago when I started questioning its age. The end of life of my skincare products is determined by when I can no longer recall when or where they were acquired. 


BalanceMe Congested Skin Serum smelled a little bit like tea tree oil and wasn't the most effective acne product I've tried. It was mild enough to use as a night cream when I had particularly angry acne though.


I used the Secret Key Honey Banana sheet mask on a trip. It was pretty drippy but smelled amazing. the material was actually pretty thin; certainly one of the more pleasant sheet masks I've used.


I liked the Wander Beauty Baggage Claim eye patches a lot. They stayed on my face without slipping and they don't leave a slimy mess on my face. I love how relaxed and refreshed I felt after using these.


I wasn't the biggest fan of the Supergoop Setting Mist (similar item linked here). I am not a fan of setting sprays so my bias may be unfair. I was not a fan of how aggressive the spray nozzle was about dispensing product and how thick the spray was.


I never heard of the brand Barefoot Venus before receiving a freebie lotion from Ipsy using referral points. Guys, this lotion is amazing! So much so that I actually almost typed “amazeballs!” It is so moisturizing without being too greasy and the scent Lemon Freckle smells like Lemon Créme Chalet Girl Scout Cookies! This is definitely a future splurge item for me. 


I've been trying to stray away from makeup wipes but I received the Neutrogena makeup removing wipes in a subscription box somewhere in the past. I mostly relegated this to swatch removal. They did a pretty decent job, though there was always a little struggle with waterproof eyeliners and liquid lipsticks, but I suppose that is to be expected with such products.


I went through a sample of Sky Organics Rosewater Facial Mist in about 2 weeks. The in-your-face rose scent took some time to get used to but it was a good toner. The ingredients are 100% distilled rosewater and I did not have any reactions to it. I’m also very much in the camp of “a goner is a toner” so I don’t really have much else to add here. I did accidentally buy a bottle of rose seed oil from Sephora so I will see if I can make my own toner using that and homemade rosewater. 


I used up a second Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream. For how tiny these tubes are they sure do last a long time. I didn’t notice any real depuffing but it is a very hydrating cream. Fortunately I don’t suffer from dark circles or extremely puffy eyes outside of mornings where I got little to no sleep the night before. 


The CeraVe Moisturizing Cream was pretty great. It’s heavier than what I typically want on my skin, especially during the day, but I used this at night in March when it feels most like the dead ass of winter out here. My skin thanked me every morning. This was especially great for following up a mud mask. Speaking of mud masks...


I nursed this tube of Generation Clay Brightening Purple Clay Mask for far too long. I cannot see a difference between purple, pink, green, and black clay masks. They all clear my pores although charcoal masks are by far the most efficient at extracting blackheads. I think I prefer charcoal masks. 


I love Elizavecca so much! The packaging is just adorable. Adorbz, guys! Witch Piggy Hell-Pore Special Ample is probably my least favorite of the serums that I've tried, only because it dries tacky. Otherwise, it does a great job of hydrating.


Makeup
I was bummed to have to get rid of my ELF Matte Lip Color. I’ve had this since 2012 (-_-) but it still works and doesn’t smell funny. I bought it when I was splurging on ELF makeup (lol) trying to find something I could wear for my wedding. Of all the matte lipsticks I bought, Praline was the only shade that worked on my skin tone and as such, it’s the only one I held on to. Alas, it’s time to let it go. The stick broke off somewhere at the base but I was still able to work with it. That is, until it fell out of the cap one day and on to the floor. I anguished over the idea of replacing it but I decided inherits so many other products that I should use those up first. God help me if it’s discontinued in that time though, I just might expire from disappointment. 


It feels like it took me half a decade to finish off my Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation (shade 415). I used to love this foundation, in fact I still do love it, but the coverage is just a little bit too high for my everyday tastes. The shade was just a hair too light for my face but it wasn't too far off from my body that I couldn't get away with it. I wish I could buy this formula in a smaller size than what's offered at Sephora because I wouldn't have to worry about wasting product based off of how little I would actually want or need this high of coverage. It definitely falls into the like category. I just wouldn't want to justify the price tag for a full sized version of this when over half of that would go bad before I could finish it.


I gave up on my MAC False Lashes mascara. It served its purpose and I feel like I've had this tiny tube for far too long. I'm not really sure how to tell when I've begun to run out of product but it seemed like the brush started coming out incredibly clean. It wasn't my favorite mascara; the effect it gave was a little too subtle for my wants. I should also mention I've since received another one of these in a subscription box, forcing my hand in destashing this little guy.


Still with the eye theme, I got a baby swatch of a Makeup Eraser on the mail and I got some use out of that in early March. My inner hippie was so excited! I could do something ablution adjacent and save the planet! Unfortunately this wasn’t for me. I felt like I was giving a hummer to a muppet and I couldn’t remove eye makeup if I was too gentle yet I found myself losing eyelashes when I applied more force. I have had a knockoff brand makeup eraser around here somewhere but I never find myself reaching for it for the aforementioned reasons. This is an area where I need to improve on in the future. My husband threw it out in the wash. I’m filing for divorce.


Hair Care
Another month, another bottle of Kinky-Curly Knot Today. I've sung praises of this leave-in for years now, I stand by that. I still have not found a product that works as well on my kids' hair as this one does.


I used up Davines Ol All in One Milk on Lizzie. Oh my god, if I still had the TWA I would use this in my hair all the time. IT smells divine and it does such an amazing job of softening and hydrating hair. It might be one of those luxury hair products I would willingly splurge on (compared to my reaction when grudgingly spending $11.99 on a hair essential).


Number 4th Lumiere d'Hiver Clarifying Shampoo is another amazing smelling product. It lathered well and gave me the sensation of being in a salon. This most likely would not be a splurge item for me but it was pleasant to use.


Palmer's Coconut Oil Shampoo and RepairingConditioner were fine but they weren't amazing enough for me to seek them out in a store. I love my Orlando Pita and Shea Moisture hair care products. They work better, they have a wide range of products that suit my needs, they smell wonderful. Palmer's is where I would go for cocoa butter or sunscreen.

March Empties in a nutshell: generally great products, I'm garbage at organization and I even fail at hoarding. April empties coming in the next couple of weeks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment