Monday, September 30, 2019

June 2019 Birchbox Review



Birchbox is a $15 monthly beauty subscription box that offers 5-6 sample and full-sized makeup, skincare, and hair care products from brands both high end and only known within the beauty box community. The idea of tackling June’s box is a little daunting. Typically, this would be the first indication that it was a lackluster box. Being more realistic, I’m probably suffering from product overload. I received:


 

  

Jouer Cosmetics Sheer Pigment Lip Gloss in St. Germain

I just realized this is a full-sized lip gloss upon typing this post. I don’t care for this gloss. The formula is amazing; it feels a bit like a thicker lip oil but still amazingly less sticky. I am not a fan of the modular packaging, though I believe it’s supposed to interlock with other glosses from the same line. The sticker also came off the bottom from me just glancing it so that’s something to keep in mind if you like being able to identify your lip products. I don’t…. hate the shade, per se. It’s just light enough and peachy enough to wash me out some. The color doesn’t bother me as much in this picture because I believe my exhaustion might be clouding my judgment in makeup shades. I would prefer something browner, but I love the formula enough that I’m determined to try to make this work. Maybe. Perhaps a bold eye? You know, that look I almost never go for.


I’ve tried these eye masks numerous times in the past and while I do enjoy them, the price is too much and it’s a bit of a cop out for Birchbox to send a one-time use item.


And alas, here’s my sample choice for the month! Of course, it came with the eyeshadow but it’s still worth it. I absolutely love Luxie brushes and I’m a hoarder of makeup brushes in general. I just know they will need to be replaced eventually, some sooner than later, but I cannot bring myself to pay for anything more expensive than the Elf $3 line. Perhaps I will be a big spender one day and splurge on Moda or Real Techniques. This brush is slightly pointed, super soft and relatively flat making it easy to pack on eyeshadow (even cream to powder shadows). And let us not forget how cute Luxie brushes are.

This creamy, very softly milled powder shadow matches about half a dozen shades I already own. Awesome! At least I know I will have enough shimmery, light brown eyeshadow to last me through the next nuclear winter.

Qhmet Biologics Alma & Olive Heavy Cream I’ve tried Qhmet Biologic’s Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee in the past and let me say, it’s nothing like this. While the detangling ghee was a mixture of milk and nectar from the gods, the Alma & Olive Heavy Cream is more like peasant swill. Guys, I can’t with this stuff. It’s so heavy and thick that it just weighs down my kid’s hair, and her mop is made out of some alloy of adamantium, mithril; indestructible and ultra-light (well, mithril is, anyway). I know “heavy cream” is in its name but this stuff could be used to snare a bull elephant in heat. I was stunned by how disappointed I was in this product until I revisited my old post and realized this is an entirely different beast from the Detangling Ghee.

The fact that I received $2.18 worth of a $32 body lotion with SPF should tell you how much of this product was actually in the tube. The sample is so small that it’s hard to get a good feel for how it works. I’ve just been using this on my face on light/no makeup days. This sunscreen doesn’t provide much moisture, bodily, so it’s pretty well suited for my face. It didn’t leave my face greasy and a small amount goes on well without leaving too much of a white cast. I felt comfortable knowing I did my civic duty by applying sun screen this summer.

I like how Birchbox is trying to include better brands and more full-sized items in their boxes but I really wish the gloss was a good fit for me. I might be able to wear it with a lip liner but so far, I have not found the winning combination. The only real win in this box was the Luxie brush, but I already have at least half a dozen Luxie brushes and I would never pay $15 for that (or any) brush. The only other win (somewhat) was the tiny Barbie-sized sun screen sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment