Sunday, July 24, 2016

July Ipsy Bag-First Impressions

I finally got my Ipsy Glam Bag for the month of July. I I feel horrible for not being excited about it but let's be honest, that is entirely because I ruined it for myself by stalking spoilers on Facebook and Instagram. I promise I won't do that for the August bag, I just want to be completely surprised.



This month I got:
  • an eyeshadow single from theBalm called Meet Matt(e) Trimony in the shade Meet Matt(e) Moskowitz - $5.50
  • Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Quinoa Frizz Control Gel - $2.50
  • Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer - $3.79
  • skyn ICELAND the ANTIDOTE Cooling Daily Lotion - $12.98
  • Thrive Causemetics Infinity Waterproof Eyeliner in Lauren (Matte Black) - $22 (full sized)
Swatches after the break.



 
I was so excited to see theBalm eyeshadow in this bag. I was really hoping for it last month (and was pleasantly surprised with the Urban Decay eyeshadow I got instead) so this eyeshadow turned out to be the most exciting thing in this month's bag. It is in the shade Moskowitz and is a beautiful dark matte plum shade. The only way this could have been better is if I got the red Kumar shade that literally everybody else in the world has been complaining about getting in their bags saying they can't make red work. I suspect I would be able to rock either Moskowitz or Kumar because of my darker skis tone; the shades wouldn't look as stark on me. The eyeshadow is small but super creamy, super pigmented (but the color doesn't transfer well few. My finger to the back of my hand for a swatch) and too cute because the cardboard book/case it comes in has a magnetic closure.
theBalm Meet Matt(e) Trimony in Markowitz

Matt(e) Markowitz inside




If I had to pick one thing to call the clear loser of this bag it would be the Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Quinoa Frizz Control Gel. That is a lot of words for "hair gel". It feels sticky and I have too much hair to get a good idea of what this product does based on the sample size. I tried it in Peanut's hair but it did not moisturizer, despite the claim. I do not mean to sound unappreciative. I mean I'm glad I got to try the brand, but I think I will stick with Cantu for styling.


 I was excited to see that I got the Too Faced primer. It is a moisturizing primer (see: lotion, not silicone based) which is unfamiliar territory for me. Up to this point I've only used the E.L.F. primer (and I have so much love for it). The Too Faced primer swatches a little sticky for me but I haven't had a chance to give it a real try yet. The sample is pretty tiny but I may get two to three uses out of it.



So I grinned like an idiot when I saw the skyn ICELAND product in this month's bag. This is a brand I've seen around and I've been wanting to try for a while. I also happen to be a sucker for any face cleansers and moisturizers though. At first use there was a slight cooling sensation and a smell that, while isn't exactly minty, is a fragrant, almost wintry woodsy smell. It's a very small sample size but I do plan on giving it some love over the next few days, especially with how hot it's been.



Rounding out my July bag is the Thrive Causemetics Infinity Waterproof Eyeliner (full sized). I tried wearing out  and funny story--during application the tip broke off so at least I can say it's soft. On the bright side it comes with a sharpener, even though it is an automatic liner, and a smudger. It also transferred to my lower lash line a little immediately after application. I plan to test it in the pool next. Maybe waterproof does not equal summer heat face oil proof.








All in all I like three of the five samples this month. I can get use (sort of) out of all of the products but I am excited about the eyeshadow, cooling lotion and primer (I still need to work with it though) and I can work with the eyeliner. The total value of the box was $46.77 but let's be honest, most of that value was the non-waterproof waterproof eyeliner. I can't complain about the products this month though because I finally got the balm eyeshadow I've wanted for so long and I discovered skyn ICELAND and can add them to my new brand list (along with Frank Body from last month.

Addendum: below is a swatch of the eyeliner after my (pretty weak) attempt to remove all swatches from my hand. It turns out the eyeliner is indeed waterproof, it just isn't sweat/body oil/Summer proof.




A pretty bad swatch of Meet Matt(e) Markowitz

The failure that was Thrive Causemetics waterproof eyeliner in summer heat

Wandering Thrive Causemetics Infinity Eyeliner


Infinity Eyeliner from a different angle

Swatch of the Infinity eyeliner (and two other non-Ipsy products to be mentioned in an upcoming post)     


No comments:

Post a Comment